Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:31 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Ballast Resistors

It's been my experience that the terminal connectors start to fit more
loosely than they should after 30-40 years of use. I take a small metal pick

to release the holding tab inside the female connector to remove the plastic

terminal holder, recrimp the rolled sides of the terminal connector, and
then brighten up the male connector tab on the ballast resistor. This
tightens the connectors and while not I'm not an electrical engineer, it
seems logical that this keeps the ballast resistor's rated resistance true.
I'm thinking that loosened connectors increase the resistance. Can any EE's
confirm this theory? The only other way that these ballasts would fail is if

the resistance wire breaks in two, to my knowledge.

Eric
Portland, Oregon

---