Re: IML: The Cold War and Chrylser's Forward Look hit piece

Re: IML: The Cold War and Chrylser's Forward Look hit piece

Chrysler's use of the word "Imperial" dates back to 1925 when it was used
for the fanciest Chrysler Six sedan.  For 1926 the Imperial became a series
name and finally a make in 1955.  Other makes, such as Cadillac, also used
Imperial to denote their top limousine models.

To Americans of that era Imperial meant royalty, wealth, opulence.  Which is
just the name car manufacturers wanted for their most luxurious offerings.
The top of American society at that time tripped over themselves to have
various members of European monarchies, deposed, exiled or not, grace their
dinner parties and other social functions.

As to the United States and an empire, the Americans started building one
with the Spanish-American war.  Remember the Maine?  As a result of that
war, the United States gained control of Cuba, Puerto Rico and the
Philipines.  The United States also gained control of a string of islands in
the Pacific at that time to act as coaling stations for the U.S. Navy.
Concerning American acquitions in the expansion of the American nation, only
Louisana and Alaska come to mind as outright purchases with no force (Texas)
or subterfuge (Hawaii) used to gain control.  In this century the American
government has been involved in proppng up various regimes around the world
that are pro-American (most have neither been free nor democratic) plus
building a world-wide string of armed forces bases, including one in Cuba..
In addition the United States has been using economic and trade
threats/actions to force other nations to accept American policies,
regardless of the damage they might do to the other nations.  None of these
actions could not be described as anything other than imperialist.

This brochure, by the way, was produced during an American industrial show
in Moscow.  Numerous American firms displayed consumer items such as
washers, driers, televisions, and stereos.  It was during this exhibition
that Vice-President Nixon and Premier Khruschev had their famous "kitchen
talks", with Nixon arguing with Khruschev the benefits and rewards of
capitalism vs communism, in one of the show's kitchen displays.   Khruschev
visited the United States around this time as well.  The most memorable
incident of that trip was his disappointment that the American government
would not let him visit Disneyland.

The Trabant was an East German product.  The other East German car, the
Wartburg, was based on the 2-cylinder, 2-cycle, FWD,  DKW and was exported
to Western Europe.   The DKW firm had plants located in what became East
Germany and thus the Russians confiscated the factory and car, initially
calling it the IFA.  Simiilary, the former BMW plant in Eisenach was taken
over and the plant began producing EMW cars.

Russian cars copied American vehicles in many instances, thus being a few
years behind the Americans.  The postwar Pobeida looked like a Russian
version of a 1940's Plymouth.  When it was replaced by the Volga in 1955,
looking for all the world like a copy of the 1953 DeSoto Diplomat, the
Pobieda was shipped to Poland where it became the Warzawa.  The Volga was
exported to western Europe for a number of years.  The Chaika, successor to
the ZIM, looked like a cross between a Rambler and a Checker (and not
Packard as many claim) while the extremely limited production ZIS and ZIL
copied Cadillac (1930's and 1960's) and Packard (1940's and 1950's).   The
Russians also exported the Moskovitch, a small rear-engined car, to Europe.
And of course there are all those trucks and cars built with Model A
engines.   In the early 1930's Henry Ford and his company helped the
Russians build a plant.  The result was a long line of vehicles that used
the Model A engine and mechanicals. including the Russian version of the
Jeep in the 1940's.

Czechoslovakia produced the most advanced cars with the Skoda selling its
cars around the world, including North America.   The Tatra was a larger,
limited production, rear-engine car with an aluminum V8 engine.

Bill
Vancouver, BC