Re: IML: Another Thread

Not to stray too far from the Imperial topic, that car is a peck of
trouble.  I own two '66 C bodies that qualify as daily drivers, both
Chryslers, in addition to the '66 Crown Coupe.  One is a souped-up 383 car
with new custom interior and classic mag wheels that I paid $1500 for, the
other is a 440 car needing only new seat covers and a headliner that I paid
$500 for.  To be fair, the latter car also had neither alternator nor
battery when I bought it.  Last year I bought another Chrysler C body with
a rebuilt 440 and rebuilt trans for $500, and all it needed was brakes and
an accelerator pump.  That car is somebody else's daily driver now.  All of
those cars have less rust than the car in the forwardlook thread.  Two of
them I paid the sellers' asking price for, and the third I knocked off $300
because I told the seller I would supply and install my own alternator and
battery so I wanted the car "as is".  I then filled it up with gas and
drove it 100 miles.  I'm telling you this so you will understand why my
ears turn red when I see some of the asking prices people put in their ads.
If they can find a sucker who will offer them 75 percent of that, God bless
them.

In the meantime, if you want some help finding a fine C body for a decent
price, let me know off list.  Chances are I can get it to you in better
condition for less money, cost of shipping included, than your local
seller's asking price.  Let's say you pay under $2000 for a one hundred
percent roadworthy and presentable life-long California C body and another
$1000 for coast-to-coast shipping.  There are no lifelong California cars
in that price range where you are unless you actually live in California.
If you don't want to repair body, trunk and floor pan cancer, these are the
cars you need.  We call snow belt cars "donors", not "recipients".  There
are some cars in that region that have been protected from the elements by
their loving owners.  Try buying one for less than $3000.

"Rust free" notwithstanding, this entry level Chrysler is one-half step
removed from a parts car, all the more so with a rod knock.  If you think
Imperials are priced lower than they should be, don't even ask about C
bodies.  You can hardly give away a C body wagon.  The only exceptions are
Sport Furies, 300s and, of course, convertibles, and even among those there
are still some bargains to be found.  There's a big-block Sport Fury 'vert
for sale near me, in decent-looking driveable condition, for $2500 right
now.  But I don't do exotic C bodies, just the land yachts.

So let us once again count our blessings that the collectors have not
"discovered" Imperials and priced us out of our hobby.  If that ever
happens, it will drag the prices for the other big Chryslers up, too.  Then
I'll be stuck trying to get 350hp out of a normally aspirated 318 V-8 in a
K car.  So let them have their A, B and E bodies, their F, J and R bodies.
I'll stick with C and Y.

Happy inexpensive motoring,

David

                      "Ken & Tracie"
                      <ktjosephson@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:       <mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      et>                             cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject:  IML: Another Thread
                      mailing-list-owner@imper
                      ialclub.com

                      05/25/2005 08:03 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

Here's another thread for those of you who may enjoy late 1960s C bodies:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5730&posts=14

K.