Re: IML: 1960 Imperial. Why was it a one year only design?

Re: IML: 1960 Imperial. Why was it a one year only design?

The transition to the Warren Avenue plant would have had nothing to do with
the 1960 models.  The Warren Avenue plant was first used for the 1959 models
and last used for the 1961 models.  Although production of the 1960 models
began in August 1959, it was not Imperial's first year in the plant.

>From page 89, "Ward's 1959 Automotive Yearbook", which reviewed the 1958
model and calendar year  :
"A further move to set Imperial apart from Chrysler was in granting Imperial
its own exclusive assembly plant, starting with '59 model work."

The design changes for 1961 were normal changes, especially after the major
changes done for 1960.   Annual new front and rear ends were the norm in
those days.  Check the design changes of Cadillac from 1959 through 1962.
Except for the LeBaron, the rooflines were carried over from 1960 (and into
1962) as were the doors.  The 1961 LeBaron received a one-piece roof and
lost the expensive filler piece used in 1960.

Chrysler's 1961 designs, coupled with the recession, resulted in red ink for
1961.  That, plus the moneys spent on the new down-sized Plymouths and
Dodges for 1962, left little money available for the 1962 Chrysler,
Imperial, Valiant and Lancer.   So the 1962 Imperial got new rear quarter
panels with no fins, an absolute must for 1962.  At least the Imperial
faired better than the Chrysler which for 1962 became a 1961 Dodge Polara
with new rear quarter panels and 1961 Chrysler dashboard and front clip.

The changes for 1963 were not cheap.  Not only did the 1963 Imperial receive
a new rear end, it also got a new, squarer, roofline with the 2-door hardtop
sharing the 4-door roof stampings.   As a new reskinned Imperial was slated
for 1964,  the 1963 model actually received more changes than one would
expect.

Exner was not fired mid-stream.  Someone had to pay the price for the 1962
Plymouth and Dodge disasters, even though they were not what he originally
envisioned.  Chrysler management (before Townsend) led Chrysler down the
wrong path with the decision to downsize. and much of Exner's design was
lost in the translation.  Chrysler knew they had a disaster on their hands
about a month after the designs were finalized in 1960.  By the end of 1960,
long before the 1962 models went into production, Chrysler management had
approved the restyling of the front ends of the Plymouth and Dodge.  And by
spring 1961 the rear ends had been redone as well.  All under Exner.   The
1962 Imperial was also done under Exner.

Engel was brought on board in November 1961 after everyone, except the car
magazines, pronounced the downsized models dead in the water.    The real
culprits were the members of Chrysler's excecutive  group in 1960 when the
cars were approved.  But the president and chairman were both gone,
dismissed by the board.  So, who was left from that fiasco?  Exner.   I have
seen photos of the original Plymouth and Dodge, and they are much better
looking than the shrunken versions.  (I personally think they were true
successors to Exner's "forward look")    And what was to have been the 1962
Imperial was reworked (1960-62 windshield with side flat glass and no
sparrow strainer taillights) into the 1963 Chrysler.  Exner had wanted
curved side glass for the 1962 models which resulted in a fuselage look, a
decade before Engel's 1969 models.

So the 1960 Imperial was a product of its time.   Only the compacts and
Lincoln did not receive as heavy styling changes.   Ask an owner of any
1959-64 full-size car (except Lincoln)

Bill
Vancouver, BC