IML: Care and feeding of 727 transmissions

IML: Care and feeding of 727 transmissions

Stuff I never knew but should have been able to figure out for myself...

This is a post from the moparts.com archives that I read while trying to
figure out my TF's shifting problems.

Quote --

Never Never NEVER Ever EVER EVER shift a torqueflite into reverse before
you put the trans in a forward gear!!!!!!
It's best to start the car in neutral and then put the trans in drive (or
any forward gear) first then shift into reverse. Esp when the tranny is
cold.

The low reverse band builds alot of pressure when first started and esp
when the trans is cold and when you shift it into reverse first it SLAMS
the band when it applies it and it WILL eventually break the low-reverse
band.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS shift the trans into a forward gear first to relieve
the pressure on the low-reverse band and save yourself some headaches and
$$$$'s down the road.

Cause one mornin when ya go out to go somewhere and ya start the car and
drop the trans into reverse, and you hear a loud bang!!!! Then ya'll know
why I said the above!!

-- End quote

This explains a phenomenon I and, undoubtedly, many of you have experienced
-- the "THUNK" of putting the trans in reverse to get out of a parking
spot.  I never thought much of it, considering it was common to all my big
Chryslers, and added it to my long list of scary but normal Mopar noises.
I get this on my daily driver '91 Imperial, too.  Considering the A604
transmission's already sullied reputation, I think I'll apply this maxim to
my regular driving habits.

Despite all of this, Mopar or no car!

Happy motoring,

David