Re: IML: 60 window motor question

Clay, you got lots of other good responses, and maybe
these answers were in there, but I'm going through 250
emails after being out for the weekend.

If that were my car, I'd go to the parts store and get
spray on electrical contact cleaner.

Go after the plug on the motor/wiring harness in the
door and then go after the switch contacts on the
drivers side door.  You'll be impressed at how it
dissolves the tarnish and leaves nice, bright metal
contacts.

Often when the master switch or the door switch stops
working, the other will still operate the window.

It could be the switch mechanism, and they don't
suffer much pressure before breaking the back that
holds the spring and guts in, so encourage passengers
to be light-fingered when using the window switches.

Be sure to get those plates back onto the rear of the
switch firmly.  Betcha it is/was a loose connection?

Please let us know what you figured out if you have
not done so already....

-Kenyon
fellow 196o fan

--- imperialman <imperialman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greeting fellow imperialists
>
>   I need an opinion as to what is wrong with the
> passenger side window on my 60 Custom.
>   A year ago the window worked fine either with the
> switch on the passenger door  or with the drivers
> side master switch.
>   The window then stopped working with the passenger
> door switch , but worked fine with the master
> switch.
>   This year it doesn't work with either switch.
>   After removing the door panel tonight I found an
> amazingly pristine inner door cavity,window motor
> ,wiring and well lubricated window track.
>  With my fingers I rotated the motor shaft (which
> moved easily)  and moved the window to the down
> position.
>   I then tried the master switch again.
> The window shot up so fast that it startled me. Yet
> it won't go down unless I do it manually.
>  So I guess my question is Can a window motor be bad
> in one direction only?
>  Or do I have a wiring and or switches problem?.
> I searched the archives but didn't see any
> information pertaining to a window working in one
> direction only.
>
>                                   Thanks in advance
>                                    Clay Smith
>                                      60 Custom