Re: IML: '60 Imperial Back End

No offense, but there is no accounting for taste.  In my opinion, since
that is the qualifier, the car's just overdone.  As for "slamming"
certain Imperials, let's face it.  Call a spade a spade.  Are we to
dogmatically worship these things?  Langworth's "grotesque" description
is not far off, but can apply to a lot of Ford and GM models too.  As a
serious student of industrial design, it seem to me (of course, in my
opinion) that Chrysler never realized when they had a good thing going,
like the clean, refined 1958 version, and just subtly enhance it every
year.  It would have appealed to the niche buyer who appreciated quality
design and engineering.  A market that they, and others, have continually
underestimated.  Look at the jump they would have had!  A 1958 Imperial
Lexus!  No, they chased Cadillac and Lincoln for the brass ring!
Of course, planned obsolescence was still in vogue, and the mass buying
public wanted, or were conditioned to want by Madison Avenue, new sheet
metal at least every 3 years.  Just as you can only slice bologna so many
ways, you can only bend sheet metal so many ways. And every time you bend
it, it's another learning curve to seal new leaks and rust.
For what it is worth, in my opinion, and lifetime, the best years for
Imperial as far as design and engineering are concerned, and the ones I
would collect are; 1954, 1956 (late production only), 1958, 1962, 1963,
1966, 1968, and the early 80's.  Early 70's cars of all makes were
gutted, debased, and castrated by the political environmentalists and
their special interests.  May they all go to that great hole in the sky.
My humble opinion, of course.
Ken Stephenson