Re: IML: 60 build quality vs 57

I can't believe that this is 2005 and we are still hearing about how bad Imperials were in the late 50's!   I bought a 58 Imperial coupe in 1959 and had no major problem with it at all.  Having "been there" gives one a different perspective of the time.  As it is today with most "journalists" in the back pocket of leftist politicians, the 50's was a time of blatant payola on every front.  Before I am branded with a conspiracy hound label, check out the 1957 Imperial review in the respected, learned journal, none other than the "unbiased" Consumer Reports.   The writer concluded that a lady would have difficulty removing the spare tire from under the trunk lid.  That was typical of the honest journalism of the day.  To this day, Chrysler is CR's favorite whipping boy.
The only objective "untouchable" writer of the era was Tom McCahill of  Mechanix Illustrated.
Not since the Tucker was GM so off guard than in 1957.  They followed up with the beautiful chrome laden Pontiac and Oldsmobile wart hogs.  Chrysler was not alone in build quality problems in that era, and in basic design, GM led the pack over both Ford and Chrysler as the champions of chintz.  As an engineer friend once commented, they brought chintz to a fine art.  So it all boils down to one thing: perception.
Suggested reading:  Vance Packard; The Hidden Persuaders, 1957.  It's even more applicable today.
Personally, I benefited from the mind set of the day.  One could buy a beautifully engineered, one year old Chrysler for far less than a mundane "faultless" GM or Ford.
Then spend a few weekends reassembling what the overpaid, piecework Detroit assemblers slapped together, and Viola!  A classic for the next century to appreciate.
Ken Stephenson  '82 Imp