Re: IML: The Cold War and Chrysler's Forward Look hit piece

Re: IML: The Cold War and Chrysler's Forward Look hit piece

Neal,

Not just any trade show, I believe!

In July of 1959, Vice President Nixon made an
unofficial visit to the Soviet Union. The purpose of
his trip ostensibly was to give the opening remarks
for the American National Exhibition in Moscow.

A depiction of an American kitchen at the Exhibition
became the background for a famous confrontation
between Nikita Khruschev and Richard Nixon. This
exchange was later dubbed The Kitchen Debate.

The Kitchen Debate can be heard via the American
Presidency Project the University of California Santa
Barbara:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/mediaplay.php?id=78&admin=37

What's the date on the brochure? Imagine, it could
have been nearby, perhaps within a Chrysler
Corporation display aglow with Lucite and chrome, when
Kruschev made the prophetic declartion to Nixon, "The
system that will give the people more goods will be
the better system and victorious."

If that brochure is from the American National
Exhibition, you've saved a valuable reminder of
Chrysler's contribution to the Cold War consumer
arsenal.

It's a pitty that Imperial isn't here now for the
people who longed for it back then. Maybe someday?

Until then, artifacts like this and the cars
themselves remind us why Chrysler Corporation
mattered.

Thanks, Neal and the volunteers who posted the piece!

Dave Duricy