Re: IML: Old starters do sometimes grind to a halt

Re: IML: Old starters do sometimes grind to a halt

Mine ground to a halt. For the better part of a year, hot starts became
increasingly difficult, though it fired right up when cold. I suspected the
carb because the cranking speed difference was so subtle, but my 84-year-old
mechanic knew better. So I bought a rebuilt starter, tossed it (gently) in
the trunk, and vowed to get around to it soon.

Late one Sunday night 9 months later, I had the pleasure (!) of installing
it in my office parking structure. Better there than at some gas station in
an iffy area of LA where I had planned to fuel up on the way home from work.

It was the original starter from 1967, and the car had about 123,000 miles
on it at the time. Boy did that engine spin when I cranked the new unit!

Life has been good, starting-wise, ever since.
--
Chris in LA
67 Crown