IML: Longevity of Our Beloved Imperials

I agree with Paul, nobody really had any clue nor cared how long the cars would
last.  However, machinery back then was built with the intent of maintenane and
repair.  Unlike modern cars, the idea of going back in there and replacing worn
out parts was incorporated in the design process.  Also, there was a lot of
over-design as mentioned before.  Part of the reason was that it was harder
back then to do exact stress calculations and design the parts in the "just"
safety factor.  Another reason was that the design criteria was very much
different back then, especially for the manufacturers that respected
themselves.  So, I think that the designers of these cars back then considered
the cars like many types of aircraft.  As long as you maintain it, it will keep
on going.  You may have noticed that a 20 or 30 or more year old aircraft does
not lose its value, due to the high standards of maintenance.  I think that
this is how many engineers would view their products.

As for the radial tires exerting higher forces, that's hard to swallow.  The
radials have more flexible sidewalls, so the forces should be lower if
anything.  The corossion sounds like a better possibility.

D^2

Quoting RandalPark@xxxxxxx: