Re: IML: Imperials rear defrost vs. the "Competition" in '71

Re: IML: Imperials rear defrost vs. the "Competition" in '71

Cleaning out some old e-mail and couldn't resist
this..

> Anyway, I think that is kind of interesting.  By the
> early '70's Detroit was
> well on it's way to full recline position in it's
> Lazy-Boy, resting on it's
> laurels, assuming it would never be really
> challenged for the U.S. auto
> market attitude.  In comes a Toyota with a major
> improvement to the rear
> defrost issue, head and shoulders above the blower
> system held over from
> the, what, 50's in at least Chrysler products?

I love when people who are thousands of miles (and
several decades) removed from the auto industry say
things like "Detroit did this... Resting on their
laurels... Detroit, blah, blah, blah."

Guess what? The '71 Lincoln I just bought has a heated
rear backlite (works good BTW), although I'm pretty
sure GM had it first. It also has rear-wheel ABS. My
'73 Imperial offers 4-wheel ABS. GM offered air-bags
in '71 models. Chrysler got rid of points by 1972, and
was the first to offer electronic, computerized spark
AND fuel management by 1976. GM invented the catalytic
converter in 1975, and receives no royalties from this
anti-pollution device used on every single combustion
engine to this day. I could go on, but I think my
point is made.

You don't spread un-informed negative stereotypes, and
I won't tell anecdotal stories about early 70s foreign
cars which rusted so badly the doors jammed shut after
3 years of midwesten winter.

As to "why" Chrysler continued with the forced-air
defroster, I can only imagine it was because the
required 100 AMP alternator didn't arrive 'till '75.

Carmine F.