Re: IML: cheap rear-window defrosting trick (was "rear air")

Re: IML: cheap rear-window defrosting trick (was "rear air")

Keith,

I believe it was not until 1972 or even 1974 when they finally tied in the
A/C compressor to the defrost position on the climate control.

To defrost the rear window in winter the cheap way, you simply need to
remove humidity from the air. You can do this by switching the system to A/C
or even MAX A/C and turning the blower and temperature all the way up. This
will cause heated but dehumidified air (assuming your A/C works properly) to
be blown out the dash vents, which will eventually reach the rear cabin and
help keep the window clear. I usually aim the vents up so they blow over the
front seatbacks.

It has the side benefit of forcing you to exercise the A/C system in the
winter, which helps keep the compressor seals and lines lubricated (their is
oil in the Freon) and prolonging its long life. My ?67 Crown still has its
entire original A/C system, even the hoses, and it¹s only required a pound
of Freon since 1989. It still cools like a meat locker in summer, and adding
heat in the winter (something that probably seems counterintuitive) makes
for decent winter performance without having the rear blower (which, by the
way, just moves ambient air around... They weren¹t terribly effective).

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon