Re: IML: 70 LeBaron body work

Consider what you have--new cooling system, new ignition system, rebuilt the transmission, plus probablyother things you forgot to mention..  When you mention breakdowns, do you mean what caused the previous work to be done, or do you mean that sometimes it makes you walk?  If those are repairs that you had done, because they had to be done, then I'd consider it in pretty good shape.
    Look at what you can get for say $3,500, plus what ever you can get out of it right now, and then wonder how long it has been since the prospective replacement had work done, or more likely, how soon it will need it. Also, more modern transmissions will cost you $2,000 or more to get rebuilt, and when you start getting modern computer operated cars, you can dump a whole lot of money into sensors and chips when it finally runs out of adjusting ability, and leaves you walking without warning.  Unlike older cars where the preformance deteriorates,  modern cars usually run great, until they quit.
     I think I'd get the work done, and see what kind of deal you can get on a paint job.  Since it is a daily driver, you don't need a custom paint job, you just need a 20 footer.   I bet he can cut a deal on a paint job that probably would be as good as the 1970 paint job was, (by today's standards, they weren't that good from the factory).  Price out getting the vinyl roof replaced, vs leaving it in paint until later.