Re: IML: Perky 61 imperial whitewalls

It is interesting to me that you based your decision on the "highness" and "perkiness" of the tires.

Back in 1959, when my Dad was looking for a new set of whitewall tires for his '48 T&C Convertible 8, he spent extra time and money to obtain a set of what was at the time called "Low Profile" tires. I believe that he bought a new set of U.S. Royal's that said that on the side wall. Back then, that was the desired look.

As I recall, my mother's '60 Imperial also had an expensive set of tires called Double Eagle put out by Goodyear. They combined the Low Profile look along with the safety of "Captive Air" inner-tire liners that prevented flats and blow outs.

I wouldn't be suprisied if the '61 Imperial also had "Low Profile" tires on it when new. Things had changed a lot for tires between 1956 and 1961.

Paul