IML: '63 to '62 Transmission

The Park lever could be an issue requiring replacement of the pushbutton shift unit to the newer style with the 2nd 'park' cable, and cutting into the dashboard if you want to add the park lever feature. I'm not sure how this 2nd cable would be routed thru the firewall on a pre '63 car. If the 2nd cable isn't used, then the parking brake now on the rear axle ends definitely need to be there and working well.
In answer to the original question, lots of work. The '62 is a one year only transmission in that it is the 1st year of the aluminum case and the last year for the transmission mounted parking brake, but the replacement parts shouldn't be affected by this fact so its of little added value other than you have a park lever. This brings to mind, why didn't ChryCo develop a Park button? The lever is a throwback to GM/FoMoCo design. One needs to then use a lever and then a button to shift into gear, and then use a lever when taking out of gear, negating the improved utility of using pushbuttons.
Thus, a strong case can be made for keeping the '62 transmission as it has been lightened and retains the philosophical purity of pushbutton driving. In my opinion, of course.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
The shift unit on the dash wouldn't be a problem, since the dash is the =
same layout from 61-63. You would just need to swap those parts out of a =
63. I'd be more concerned weather the 63 trans would mate to the 62 =
engine.
How much work is needed to install the newer unit in the '62 ???  And =
yes I=20
 do understand the '63 rear axle and trans must be used.  How about the =
'63=20
 shift unit on the dash with the park lever on the side ???