Re: IML: Imperial speed trials

I use to "bury the needle" on my '56 Imperial back in the early '70s. That is why I have no doubt that a big V8 car could do over 120 mph in top form. If the points are worn, or the car needs other ignition or fuel system adjustments, that top speed could be cut nearly in half.

After I bought my '65 I was unhappy to discover that its top speed was about 85 mph. It obviously needed work. With a full tune up, even with the old worn out engine that it had at the time, I was able to boost that number to around 105 mph.

To be honest, I wouldn't drive anything that fast anymore. There are too many people on the road not paying attention. I haven't ever hurt anyone in a car wreck, but I sure could have. If some one cut me off going 105 mph, there wouldn't have been enough of me or the other person left to put in a box.

That was my foolish past, but as they say, we all learn from our mistakes, and those lessons will be with me always.

Paul