Re: IML: Hot rod 68 rag top

>Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:13:53 -0600
>From: dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: IML:
>
>Morgan, I know what you mean.  One of my Imperials has an AVS Carter.
That's a
>bit larger than your AFB, but at only 630 cfm, it seems like at 4500 rpm's
the
>car is a not short of breath (and this car has a larger cam and an
Ederblock
>CH4B).  I am looking for a replacement carburetor, but I don't want to mess
>with the thermoquads.  Instead, I am looking for a similar carter
squarebore
>(1.69 both primaries and secondaries as opposed to slightly smaller
primaries)
>which was rated at 750 cfm.  That will hopefully raise this threashold to
about
>5000 rpm, which is as fast as I care to rev it (5000 on third gear is about
150
>mph, which may be feasible with the larger carb, but only for a short
period of
>time due to tire limitations).

   My mechanic has had very good results in the past on 440 Imperials / New
Yorkers / Fury III PIs using the Holley 780 and Edelbrock Torquer intake
over a fairly mild cam. Something similar is probably in the medium future
for mine (assuming all goes well) , though I'd rather stick with an
Edelbrock carb assuming I can find a good match. Even if I remain too broke
over the next couple years to invest in performance mods, the engine will
likely need a rebuild sometime after the quarter-million  mile mark, and I
won't be putting a stock cam back in it then. My '69 currently has an AVS on
a stock cam and it seems okay, though it needs other work before I really
explore the high-end performance envelope with it. It's also running a
single exhaust for now, which is probably way more restrictive than the AVS.

    -Kle
    '69 Crown 4DHT