Re: IML: Weight

Hi Ed and Imperial gang,
The answer to this question is multi-fold.  The jack
should have a 25% safety margin on the lifting weight.
 It should be able to lift 25% more weight than the
rating.  As the jack lifts the car the weight of the
car will also shift to the end setting on the ground.
The lever action of the jack will become easier to
lift the higher the car is off of the ground.  It
should be at 50% of the total car weight when started.
 So there are a lot of variables to this question.  I
know my preference for any jack or jack stand is the
more weight rating the better.  Is there any feedback
on this one?
RC Billings, Montanaaaa

 --- Ed Buitenwert <mistered@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On a 5200 lb car using a floor jack at one end, does
> the floor jack have to be rated for the entire
> weight? I wanted to keep a floor jack in the trunk
> and didn't know if a 2 1/4 ton jack would be
> adequate.  Sears has one that comes in a case.
>
> Mister Ed
> '68 Crown Convertible

=====
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaa