Re: IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB

Quoting Alex Ferch <alxf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I must admit I did not feel safe at that speed, although my friend
> Colin said the car felt good actualy. What I got a kick out of was the
> sound at that speed. the 440 sounded amazing.

In my sedan (with admidedly shot weatherstreaping) I can't hear much of the
engine (relatively silent dual exhaust at high speeds, but a strong intake
sound).  My LeBaron has much lowder exhaust and less wind noise, and I can
still barely hear the engine at past 120-125.  In a ragtop, the wind noise must
be super strong at anything past 100.

> The car has really good new shocks on it, and good Z rated Michalen
> tires.

What size are the tires?  I do not think one can find 235/75's with this rating.
 If you want to maintain the high gearing, you would have to go with 255/70/15,
and then you may be able to get z-rating.  If you go with 235/60 or something,
you lose much of the high speed potential.

> It is in perfect mechanical condition, other than the recent
> brake caliper issue and the engine only has 10000 miles on it since
> the rebuild. I use Mobil 1  Synthetic 15w40, so it stays thick at high
> RPMs.

OK, then you may have replaced the dreadfully small stock cam with something
more appropriate.  Good choice on the synthetic oil.  You probably use 15w50
which is what I use.  It takes a few blasts though to get it nicely warmed up
for ultimate performance.

D^2