Re: IML: shocks

I have been in contact with KYB (shocks) in the States and below is the most recent reply. I am considering replacing the shocks on my 60 and it seems that the general consensus is that one could do a lot worse that install KYB's.  Chris Hawkins sent me to the Club page http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Springs/install.htm  where he explains succinctly how to modify and install the KYB's.

Before I make any decision I would like to ask if anyone would like to comment on Tim's email below. The email is edited however the below paragraph is what I am wanting comments on, especially the first sentence.

Stay safe

Larry

1960 LeBaron Sedan

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/Blomberg/Page01.htm

Larry,

I have a concern about the spring assist. If this is needed to keep car level, then I do not recommend the KYB. Shocks do not raise a vehicle (unless air, which we do not handle). Mounts did not look like anything special. If the use of a spring assist shock is not necessary you should not have any problem with the units the site suggested. I would still need extended & compressed lengths and mounting hole sizes to pursue further.

Tim Oldiges

KYB America LLC

Product Manager

630-620-5555 Ext. 345