IML: Speaker Wiring (Caution, FoMoCo Content)

IML: Speaker Wiring (Caution, FoMoCo Content)

I recall that Ford used to cross-wire the channels in their stereo radio equipped cars. Instead of a dedicated left to right, and front to rear adjustment, they conceived it as a front to rear, and then X channel to XY channel adjustment by wiring the rear speakers (or front for that matter, it really doesn't matter when you take the R/L out of the equation) opposite to the front speakers. So, one could say that the speaker arrangement would look like this
X XY
\ /
/ \
XY X
This was done to enhance the tonal quality, as I recall reading in a '73 Lincoln owner's manual. What I think it actually addressed was the music recording industry's older practice of recording in dedicated left and right channel. Sometime later in the music industry's development, the channels were mixed to enhance the sound imagery. To take an early stereo recording and contrast it to a stereo recording of the late 70's, one would hear a more distinct left/right stereo seperation in the earlier recording. In a later recording, a person could picture more of a range of sound placement, or imagery, when the L/R bias was individually adjusted for each instrument/singer during the recording process in the recording studio.

It may be that all the auto manufacturers used to wire the early stereo systems this way, or not. Its been 25 years since I've had a factory stereo equipped Mopar product so I'm a little rusty as to how their 5 speaker system was set up. Being that Chrysler, or whoever sourced the stereo equipment (Bendix?), went to the trouble of developing a specific L/R crossover circuit for the front center speaker, it seems that they did so to address this issue by enhancing the sound imagery in the earlier recordings.

Maybe someone will be so good as to pull out an old Sonny & Cher 8-track and plug it into their '68 Imperial and fiddle w/the speaker adjustment while listening to which channel goes where. Did those 5 speaker Mopar setups have both a L-R & Front-Rear adjustment?

Eric
Portland, Oregon