IML: More on Plugs for '56

Chris,

Good points.  In thinking back, it has probably been at least 8 year since
I've put plugs of any brand in an older Mopar and since I no longer own that car
nor have the service records, I can't be sure that I used Champion.  The car
in question, a '67 Dodge Monaco had the Magnum version of the 383 with 10:1
heads so pinging was often an issue with today's fuels (as was overheating until
I replaced the original radiator).  I do believe, however, that Champion was
the plug favored by the factory for many years at Chrysler.

After seeing your response along with others, I did some research online at
the various manufacturer's sites (couldn't find any good independent ones) and
was reminded of the importance of getting plugs of the correct "temperature",
regardless of brand.  I've learned from watching my neighbor deal with
problems in an old F*&d van that as an engine ages, the originally specified plug
temperature rating doesn't always work.

One question came out of all of my research - would there be any advantage to
gold or platinum plugs in early Hemi's over conventional copper plugs?  Both
Champion and Autolite claim to offer a platinum plug for the 354.

Likewise, if available, would any of the splitfire type of plugs help?  (The
answer to this question I suspect is 'no' based on some developmental
information shared with me by a local parts store manager that indicated such multi
electrode plugs are most beneficial for fast spinning 4s and 6s but can actually
be detrimental to V-8s.)

Jeff
'56 Sedan (that doesn't need plugs at the moment)
Trenton, NJ