IML: Black '56 Crown Imperial (Presidential) in Hershey Car Corral

IML: Black '56 Crown Imperial (Presidential) in Hershey Car Corral

I believe the car at Hershey is the one that Bob Monetti restored about 15 years ago.  He brought it to the Hershey meet for a number of years and then he must have sold it because I've seen him drive an early 50's GMC truck with the name of the family business on the side.

I was absolutely stunned when I first saw the car many years ago as I hadn't seen one in any decent condition before.  He upgraded the interior with the pleated front seat which I understand was an available option.

That car is not an Eisenhower car as Ike and Mamie each had a Derham-modified Crown.  There are pictures that are not correctly labeled on the site under the '55 Year by Year.  Ike bought Mamies' car from the GSA when he left office and there is a very poignant photo in Life magazine of the car driving up the long snow-covered driveway to the Gettysburg farm after JFK's inauguration.  The remaining Imperials were broomed by the Kennedys in 1961, tho Jackie is known to have been driven in a lovely '60 Ghia Crown.

I own a Crown that was purportedly the third limousine in the White House garage.  It is a standard Crown in black with a camel tan broadcloth interior with no pleats or domino cloth insert.  Oddly the A/C was added after it was built or delivered to Washington.

Cheers,

Roger

'55 Crowns, limousine and sedan