Re: IML: Seeking Imperial information from British Columbia

Re: IML: Seeking Imperial information from British Columbia

In a message dated 09/10/2004 23:09:11 GMT Standard Time, dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Tony, there should be a lot more Imperials available here in the USA and Canada
than in the UK.  Also, importing an Imperial in Europe is a lot tougher and
expensive than purchasing one on this side of the pond once you arrive.
Further, an Imperial driving around in Europe will attract a lot more attention
due to the rarety, and probably will attract a good market price too, if you
post a "for sale" notice.  So, it may be more cost effective to sell your car
there and buy another one in Canada.

Of course you would have to balance out the fact that you arleady know your car
mechanically, as well as emotional attachement.

D^2
Dx2

You are of course right about the rarity of the Imperial in Europe. Sadly, this is also its downfall, in terms of value. Although everyone admires it, few people would be willing to take on such an unknown quantity. The result is the actual value of the car in a forced sale would probably be very low. I would most likely have to sell it for peanuts to a classic American car dealer. On the other hand, I have a car that I know inside out and have brought to a point where I  can trust it to perform reliably. If I start with another car, I will likely have to go through a lot of rebuilding again. My guess is that it would cost at least as much as the price of importation and probably more.

Best wishes,

Tony