Re: IML: Rheostat control for dash lights on my '67

Re: IML: Rheostat control for dash lights on my '67

Title: Re: IML: Rheostat control for dash lights on my '67
Stupid as this is going to sound, the first thing to do is on of the easiest, barring the wear on your thumb.

Background: the rheostat is simply a moving contact point sitting on a resistor block. Turning the thumbwheel moves it along the block, increasing or decreasing the resistance and effectively changing the intensity of your dash lighting.

The usual problem: The resistor block gets cruddy, and/or the contact point gets dirty, mostly from sitting in one place all the time.

The easy solution: Move the thumbwheel on the dash (the adjuster control) back and forth about 100 times (seriously). Well, maybe try 20 or so first and see how you do. By doing this, you clean the contact point and where it touches the resistor.

The good news: This usually works! And if it doesn't, *then* take apart your dash and get at the switch.

Let us know if you are successful!

Chris in LA
67 Crown (original dimmer, bright dash lights!)
78 NYB Salon