Kantor/SMS

Someone a few days ago was requesting info on Kantor Auto Parts. I started collecting parts and repair kits for my 56 Imperial about 6 years ago. The restoration finally got underway about 2 years ago. I had received a Transmission Overhaul Kit for my 2-speed tranny from Kantors about 4 years ago. My shop was unable to use any item from this kit as they said it was for a totally different vehicle, no idea what it was for. Kantor's won't take it back as it has been so long since I received it. My mistake for not checking for correctness sooner. I also sent them a clean carpet sample from under the front seat on the driveshaft hump with the idea of getting a pre-cut carpet set for the car. Their colour guide showed what seemed to be the identical colour and I ordered it. The carpet set I received was a completely different shade from my sample and totally unuseable for me. It didn't fit very well either. I however had received other small mechanical items from Kantors which were ok.

As for SMS, It took over a year to get seat and headliner material which was understandable. I ordered a pre-sewn headliner which was another mistake. The seams did not line up with the hoops by about 3 inches and we had a terrible time to get the thing to fit. Thank goodness my upholstery guy was extremely patient. The seat material is very nice and pretty much looks like the original stuff.

In future I would not order a pre-cut carpet or headliner. Get your upholstery person to do it up after they receive the material.

Bye,
Gerry