Spark plugs

Fellow Imperial aficionados,
    I have been "listening" to all the discussions and comments on spark plugs and thought I should throw in a couple of my pennies. Recently, I have been fooling around with my timing trying to get rid of some pinging. The only way I could get rid of it was by retarding the timing :(  Then, I came across one of my Grandfather's old Petersen shop manuals (1975) and it says,
      "Plugs with PLATINUM or other fine wire electrodes and surface gap plugs having no side electrode should not be used unless specified by the manufacturer."
      Guess what kind of plugs I took out of my car? I now have the O.E. champions J-13Y and my timing is no longer retarded. The '66-71 used the same plugs (J-13Y) and '59-'65 used J-14Y; '72 used J-11Y all of 'em are gapped .035". So I have to agree with Paul, unless the plugs are old or something is wrong with the engine, plugs don't fail. In fact, according to the same book, plugs are an excellent indicator of what is going on inside the combustion chamber.
   Anyway, whatever works for ya'-- Do it!

    Keith
1970 LeBaron