Quick distributor/pickup coil question

When your replacing the pickup coil/magnet in the distributor do you really
have to take the whole distributor out?  The FSM says to pull the
distributor.  I've done this dozens of times on FWD mopars on the car, but
their distributors are right up front.  This thing is a pain all set back
there.  Any tips?  Thanks