External fuel pump, (was EFI starting problems)

External fuel pump, (was EFI starting problems)

Mike,

I bought the car with that pump on it.  Considering the troubles I have with
the car I would NOT recommend it to anybody.  There are many advantages to
having an in-tank pump. That's why almost all the new cars have the pump
mounted in the tank.  The fuel cools and lubricates the pump, the fuel
dampens the buzz from the pump, and you don't have to worry about fuel
starvation since the pickup is immersed in the tank.

>From what I can tell on an 80's Imperial the fuel outlet is on the top of
the tank.  This means that if you put an external pump it will have to pull
the fuel up the tube.  Most of the time people put an external pump in to
avoid having to drop the tank, btu you'd probably be better off changing the
tank to a bottom outlet.  Also if you don't drop the tank you're not going
to remove the old pump.  This means your new pump is pulling the gas through
the old faulty, maybe damaged pump and the 20+ year old sock filter.   I
believe these items are the main contributors to my problem.  IF you're
going to change the tank you might as well just replace the in-tank.

Rob

Nobody knows a source for the check valves?