67 LeBaron

> I admit the '67 I'm bringing home originally enticed
> me with its steel crank
> 440.  A racer close to where the car has been stored
> wanted it just for that
> reason, but hadn't gotten around to looking at it.

Don't be ashamed, I dragged my first '67 home
(coughing, spitting, and smoking) for the same reason.
 However, I had no Frankenstein intentions for the
motor.  Rather, I wanted a runing, driving 440 for
less than the cost of just the engine, in a car that
by no means looked like it held that kind of
performance.

> I still need to get the car home, and I have a whole
> lot of paperwork to do
> to get the title for it, but it is possible.  Once

What state are you in?  This is easier in some than
others.  In MD and NJ, for example, a quick $200 to a
shady title place will get you a brand new squaeky
clean sheet.

> the Imperial is new territory for me.  What is the
> body code for an
> Imperial?  I'm pretty sure the '67 isn't a C-body
> even though it's a unibody.

Most agree, it is a 'Y' body.  Very similar in
dimensions to a NYer, but about 6 to 8" longer, if I'm
not mistaken.  Also, much more sturdily built.  Check
out the radiator supports and the subframes.

> >From reading the articles on the website, it looks
> like I'll be in the
> market for the '70-73 spindles and disk brakes.  I
> prefer to drive my cars,
> rather than have trailer queens.  Besides, I don't

I agree with you wrt the trailer queens bit, but a
brake conversion is hardly necessary.  As stated
before, the '67 does have front disks, and they are
quite capable 4 piston deals with huge 11" rotors.
All parts with the exception of rotors are available,
and if your rotors are paper thin (as mine were on my
first '67) then you can buy rotors for a '88 Toyota
Supra and machine them to fit.  There is an article I
wrote on the imperial club website about doing this
conversion.  It worked very well for me, and last I
knew at least one other person was doing it.

Incidentally, if you really want some sick performance
out of your '67, bolt on a set of '68 heads, a lumpier
cam (like a 284 duration Mopar Purple Shaft) some
headers, dual exhaust, and a dual snorkel air cleaner,
then swap out your 2.94 highway gears for some 3.55 or
3.73 with sure grip and add a Gear Vendors OD
unit...then go hunting for Mercury Marauders.  ;)

Incidentally, just the dual exhaust and dual snorkel
air cleaner does much to open up these engines.  And I
have a 1/2" 4 hole carb spacer underneath my Carter
AFB for a bump in low end torque, that makes the tires
scream even with the 2.94 chunk.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Beautiful Boxcar