Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 9:12 AM
Subject: IML: Need Advice re: Power Steering Unit

Greetings,
I could use some advise re the power steering unit on my 1953 Imperial.  The unit had been leaking/dripping power steering fluid for some time.  I used Lucas' power steering fluid to stop the leak, which it did for a while.  Recently, the leaks became more noticeable and finally the entire contents of the p/s reservoir spilled out on to the garage floor.  An eyeball examination revealed an apparent leak in the steering box. It isn't where the p/s hoses connect, they are ok.  It appears that a seal in the steering box may have broken causing the p/s fluid to drain out.

My questions are these:  Did anyone ever have a similar problem, if so, how did you fix it?
Would it be easier to replace the steering box or replace only the seal, providing I can locate either?

Thanks,

Quint