My new '82

OK, this is my third attempt at a thank you and update, but I got bumped
because of a spam attack on this hotmail account.  Thanks Dick, Joel, Dave
Grove and everybody for the tips.

My car doesn't even momentarily start. It just cranks.  It will usually
start within 2 or 3 attempts, but the other night it took a solid 10
minutes. Maybe 25-30 tries.  That time when it fired up it smelled rich.
Sometimes it smells like fuel, but when I took the air cleaner off it seemed
dry. The air cleaner seal/gaskets, etc. seem good.  Once the car is started
it has never (knock wood) stalled and seems to run fine.  I don't know if
it's a characteristic of these cars, but the car only cranks a few times
before it stops. It won't keep cranking and cranking as long as you have to
key turned to start.

The car is stone stock with an alleged 41,000 miles, except for one scary
reciept which states "3 hours convert to external fuel supply"  I assume
they ditched the in tank fuel pump.  I have started to cycle the key on-off
a few times before I try to start it and it *seems* better, but it still
will not start on the first try. I can hear the buzzing of the pump, but it
generally seems to be from the rear. My helper said they heard the under
hood pump, but I couldn't.  It seems like the fuel line isn't primed or it
isn't getting a starter shot of fuel. I'll guess I'll try to dribble some
gas down the air cleaner next time.

Dick B. if you ever write the book on these, let me know, I'd like a copy.
I read the collected e-mails before I bought my '83, but that one is
converted so I managed to forget most of the EFI info.  I'd llike to solve
this so that I can move on to my other problems, like the dented front end,
JB Welded radiator and "chunky style" coolant.  I drove it to work today so
I hope I'm getting home.

Thanks again,
Rob