countryclassiccars.com

> There are a lot of Alabama titles, which means they were resqued from
> a junkyard somewhere and he obtained a title.

>What the heck does that mean?

In Alabama you don't get a title for a car over a certain age.  They issue a
tag and give you a tag receipt.  Since Alabama doesn't issue a title your
home state has to accept the tag receipt as title and will issue you a new
clean title.

So using this method I can be a FL resident who has a no title car or a
junked car and get a clean FL title.  The upside to this is that it is a
legal way to get a title for your old car that has been "in the barn since
19 and 62" and never had a title or the title has been lost long ago.

So now your wondering how somebody in CA is going to be able to take
advantage of this.  There are several car dealers in Alabama who will in
essence sell you your own car for a couple hundred bucks and send you a nice
new shiny Alabama plate with tag receipt.

                 Steve B.