'73 LeBaron headlight door motor, battery cables

'73 LeBaron headlight door motor, battery cables

Hi, list,

Son Jamie and I spent the weekend trying to work out some electrical bugs on my
'73 and were successful in restoring power to the horn, power antenna, and
(some) of the courtesy lighting. Man, was I happy! These little problems have
been bugging me for months!

Flush with success, I decided that a bit of a twist to the torsion bar that
rotates the headlight doors would make them align better. Perhaps that is true,
but such a twist will also crumble the plastic gear at the top of the headlight
door motor--crumble it beyond any hope of repair, so now I need a replacement.
Does anyone have a fuselage-style parts car that might have the motor (or just
the gear) available for sale? If so, please let me know off list at
j_king(at)email.com. Thanks in advance!

Upon reflection, I decided that "a twist" to re-tension the torsion bar was not
the way to adjust alignment (duh!), but installing the gear a couple of teeth
"tighter" would accomplish the attempted alignment. Information for those not
foolhardy enough to just jump in and start breaking things . . .

But wait, there's more!

Since the advent of Mississippi summertime weather and increased use of the
front and rear blowers, my car won't hold a battery charge. I've replaced the
alternator, voltage regulator, and last week I made Wal-mart give me a new
battery since the old one was only about 10 months old. The volt meter shows a
charge at highway speed, but slight discharge at idle. My next attempt to fix
this annoying problem will be to replace the 31-year-old battery cables, if the
list thinks that might be the problem. What say you, list?

Thanks in advance! I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge available
to members of this fine online club.

Jay King
Meridian, Mississippi

Honey Gold 1973 LeBaron 4DHT