66 Imperial clock

If you take it out and file the contact points, clean and oil the rest of the
movement, it will probably work again for another couple of years. I service
the clocks in all of my cars regularly, and find very little trouble keeping
them going. The most serious thing seems to be a broken stop for the contact
points which can cause the movable point to swing past the movement and ground
against the case. This causes a short circuit, will blow fuse, and make sparks.
Even so, this is also repairable, but requires more skill.

The only Imperial car clocks that I have ever found to truly be worn out were
those that came in the '56 models. They were not spring wound, but rather a
continuos running electric motor. These clocks kept running, and did wear
themselves out. The symptom of this is that they run very quickly occassionally
(like when you hit a bunp in the road), and then stop. This is due to broken
pivots and worn holes in the plates.

Paul