From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: IML: power steering pump reseal

> What year model is this for? I just bought a rebuilt power steering pump
for my '62 Imperial a couple of weeks ago. The parts store had it the day
after I called them about it. It had the pulley already on it, but I had to
install the resevior. It was a snap. I kept my old pump and plan to have it
rebuilt since the next time I need this (20 years from now)they may not be
available. I only paid $46.00 for the rebuilt pump. It took about two hours
to do the job from start to finish.

cbody67tx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Resealing a power steering pump is not that hard to do.  Basically,
there's a lip seal on the input shaft of the pump, the big o-ring where the
pump body fits into the reservoir "can", and maybe a few other o-rings on
the back of the pump.  The front seal might be critical if there's a wear
groove in the shaft, though.  The big pump/reservoir housing o-ring is a
square o-ring instead of round.  A little care, finesse, and lube will make
sure it doesn't get cocked when you slide the pump housing into the
reservoir can. Of course, the pulley will have to be removed to replace the
input shaft seal.

> > All in all, resealing what you have might be the most cost effective and
expeditious way to go rather than trying to adapt another style of pump to
the engine.  Or just buy a reman pump without a reservoir and get that one
installed in the existing reservoir housing.  Then you can keep the core for
later as they probably don't have much core charge on them