No Reverse

I had this trouble last year in my '72 Newport. As I recall, the 'low /
reverse shaft' broke. I was advised this is a common failure point at about
125-150k miles. I didn't do the work, though I did have an opportunity to
look up in the gearbox to see a broken shaft while at the transmission shop.
I still had 1st gear but no reverse, not sure what function this shaft
performs.

Eric
Portland, OR

Subject: IML: 1957 torqueflight problems no reverse

  I have a problem with my torqueflight
  I got other trans in the car this trans was not used for 2 years
  all forward gears work neutral also works
  reverse is not working