Re: Re: IML: Classic?

I agree, the term "classic" has been degraded to the point that it is almost
meaningless
now, in my opinion.  After all, we have Coke "Classic" and Apple calls its last
operating
system, which is only about 2-3 years old, "Classic mode," etc., etc.  I think
it all depends
on age, too.  I once heard a guy in his 20's refer to an 80's model car as a
"classic."
Maybe to him!  :)

I think the Classic Car Club of America is the group that really started using
that term, or
at least made an attempt to define it, and I'm sure that definition is printed
somewhere.
Just being old does not automatically make something a classic!

(Unless we are talking people!)

If I recall their definition there were several requirements.  In order to be
considered a
classic, a car had to:

1.  Be the first of a series or the last of a series (the first 300, the last
Imperial convertible)
and/or
2.  One of the models from a distinguished line of models (any Duesenberg, etc.)
and/or
3.  represent a significant technical or styling advancement
and/or
4.  represent a desirable "only" of anything-- e.g., the only turbine car, the
only Corvette
with a split rear window, the only year XZY option appeared, etc.

Please go easy on me, this is from memory!  (Fuzzy memory, at that)

To be "collectible" there were other criteria, like popularity.  Many folks
will call a car a
classic when in truth it is really more of a collectible.  An example would be
a Gremlin.
Not really an outstanding car for any reason, so it can't be a classic.  But
it's unique and
sort of interesting, so it's definitely collectible.

Maybe someone can find these definitions and reprint them here.

Mark M