Spark Knock in my '59

I had terrible spark knock on my '66 (which has very
similar timing specs as '59), and after much trial and
error and endless adjustments, the problem was fixed
by installing a correct, new vacuum advance.  Hasn't
pinged since.

I suspect the problem is that the initial timing is
already pretty far advanced in early big blocks - 10
BTDC, as I recall for '59.  Relatively little vacuum
advance is used compared to '67 and later.
Therefore, if the springs in the vacuum advance get
weak, you get too much vacuum advance too soon.  The
result is pinging, especially on light acceleration
when vacuum is highest.

Of course, you need the highest octane gas you can
find, as well as proper fuel delivery in the right
mixture, and the engine running at the correct
temperature.  Even proper timing cannot overcome
lapses in these areas.

Correct vacuum advances appear on E-bay periodically.
Don't buy a generic from NAPA - I can guarantee you it
is set for 1967-and-later specs.

And speaking of vacuum, a vacuum leak can lean out the
fuel mixture, too, contributing to pinging.  I assume
it idles smoothly?  If so, chances are there are no
leaks.  If it has a lumpy idle, look for a leak.

Happy motoring,

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 LeBaron