1958 Neutrality

Welcome to our discussion Dick! 1958 T&C Wagon is a georgeous car.

Dave's '58 Imperial has a random "no start" problem. It seems to have a mind of
its own. A faulty neutral safety switch has been offered as a possible cause
for this. This often is the cause of this symptom in cars with automatic
transmissions.

When this switch fails in some cars, it may be by passed to test. Often it is
left that way, causing a potentially dangerous situation.

I think the only way to cause an accident with this would be for an individual
to circumvent the system as above in order to test the switch or make the car
run. Unaltered, a failure in the system would keep the car from starting at all.

I am curious, are '57 Imperials the same as '58s? Several years ago I bought a
'57 Torqueflite and it did have the switch mounted on the tranmission case.

Paul