Proposed New Voltage Standard & 1958 Neutrality

Proposed New Voltage Standard & 1958 Neutrality

Chris Middlebrook wrote that the automotive manufacturers and suppliers are proposing a new 52 volt standard for all new vehicles, for the reasons outlined by Chris.

My only question is: when did they change this to 52 volts, from the 42 volt standard that was proposed about two years ago? In other words, how long have been asleep at the wheel, officer?

The recent discussion about the 1958 neutral start button in the gear selector, and the neutral safety switch on the transmission has got me interested to go and check my '58 NY Town & Country wagon.  But, (he says, adding fuel to the fire, perhaps) in order to cause an accident, wouldn't the combination have to be BOTH a failed neutral safety switch on the transmission AND the transmission being "screwed up" by allowing it to be in gear even though the only gear selector button being pushed in by the driver is the neutral button?

Dick Woodside
1968 Crown Convertible, still at the paint shop having the shipping damage repaired