'56 Fuel Filter - Update

I have done business with JC Auto and they do seem to carry high quality
merchandise.

I have had success cleaning the element (it is actually made out of a ceramic)
with compressed air blown from the inside. Do not expose it to water. I have
heard that the element can become hopelessly clogged, but I have yet to
encounter this. Be sure to rinse out the bowl and clean off the spring, too,
before putting everything back together.

I am thinking that the gasket must be made out of something other than rubber
since, as mentioned earlier, it wouldn't have lasted so long if it actually was
rubber. Could it be neoprene? The material does resemble rubber. Be sure to
also wipe out the inside of the metal holder where the gasket goes, and wipe
off the gasket itself. Crumbs of debris will keep the bowl from sealing tightly
to the gasket. If the gasket, the element, or the glass bowl appear to be
damaged, by all means replace them.

Paul