Moaning from the rear....

The moning is spider gears,they need replacing,its probably an 8 3/4 rear;inthat case, you replace the carrier.The carrier is pretty in expensive so go that rout.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Moaning from the rear....

--- chr gra <c_bodycrazy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a 70 Imp LeBaron w/ a moaning sound comming
> from the rear. ... I'm thinking I have
> a bad bearing in the axle and would like to replace
> all of them in one shot.

Chris -- you're probably right in your diagnosis of an
axle bearing.  If the sound changes as you go around a
curve (i.e. seems to move from side to side), then
that's definitely it.  However, BEFORE you tackle
this, be sure to check the fluid level of the
differential -- it might simply be a bit low.

Replacing axle bearings on these cars is pretty
straightforward.  If you have a shop manual, follow
the instructions, and you can easily do it in an
afternoon.  I just performed this procedure on my '70
LeBaron last summer.

The only "trick" is to make SURE that the axle shaft
end play is adjusted properly, AND to be sure that the
locking clip for the adjuster is installed correctly.
On both my '71 and '70 Imperials, I have had rear axle
bearing failures -- and on both cars, I found that
someone in the past had failed to correctly adjust the
end play and/or install the adjuster locking clip.

Good luck,

Elijah Scott
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1970 Imperial LeBaron