Bolt on overdrive

D2 is right,

To get the full benefit of the overdrive it's often necessary to swap rear
gears top optimize your acceleration and economy at your normal cruise rpm.
Installing a Gear Vendors without changing the rear gear WILL NOT be a
problem. They actually have a kit they call "gear switching" where the car
shifts automatically through the gears 1st-1st od-2nd-2nd od etc, like a 6
speed.  I don't think a healthy 440 will have much trouble pulling the car
with almost any gear. In my 3800 lb 4 speed I am often in 4th around 20 mph
and the car doesn't lug unless you try to accelerate hard. With the
automatic feature it should select the proper gear anyway.

I don't see how a lock up 727 would be a problem, although it might not be
worth the trouble of swapping the trans. There is a Mopar 4 speed auto
(A518) which is basically a 727 with an extra gear. I'm sure it could handle
the engine and you can buy them new (but pricey) from Mopar Performance.
The problem is that the o/d adds length and width at the back of the trans.
Extensive floor pan/trans tunnel mods are required on an A-body. I don't
know of anybody doing the mod on a c-body or Imperial.

Rob
At work, dreaming of adding o/d to my 300 hp '83 Imperial, but first let's
get it running WITH a/c.