75 gas gauge diagnosis

My gas gauge shows empty and the red light comes on but tank is full. My
neighbor says it is the float since the red light works. My service manual
is MIA (wife moved it)so how do we get the float out? Drop the tank or is
their access from the trunk. The tank is full as I thought it was empty and
was filling it up and the shutoff stopped it at 10 gal.  At 8 mpg, it would
take about 200 miles to empty?