Imperials as Everyday Cars

I would dearly love to once again drive one of my Imperials as an everyday car.
I actually did that way past the time that most other people did. My '65 Crown
was still my regular car until 1988. Last summer I ran my '62 LeBaron that way
and enjoyed it very much.

One of the major reasons that I stopped was that I once believed that driving
them on unleaded gas was harmful to the engine. Leaded gasoline became too
difficult to find after about 1988. I now think that driving them on unleaded
gas would not have been a serious problem. Since becoming a member of the IML I
have read many posts about 413's and 440's going over 100,000 miles of regular
driving on unleaded gas without any mechanical issues.

The other major reason is rather unique to our area and still would hold true
today. That is the problem of broken windshields. I drive on the highways
around here a lot. Since the time when I parked the Imperials I have replaced
14 windshields, and had countless bulls eye repairs at around $50.00 each. I
don't make claims against my insurance for glass because I believe they would
raise my rates or worse, cancel me altogether.

The last time that I priced a new windshield for the '65 Imperial it cost
$865.00. That was a long time ago and by now that may have changed, but this
would make frequent replacement impractical. I also don't think that repeatedly
changing the windshield is particularly good for the welfare of the car.

I guess if it wasn't for those two things, I would consider driving an Imperial
everyday, but I have also enjoyed some of the other modern conveniences in the
newer cars like the automatic over-drive transmission which allows big powerful
cars to get over 20 miles per gallon.

I often fantasized about using my '55 Imperial as an everyday car as an elderly
man since I would likely limit most of my driving to the immediate vicinity of
my home. That has ceased to be attractive to me though, since now the little
town that I live in is usually in a state of grid-lock 90% of the time. Driving
anything in those conditions isn't really any fun.

Paul