Swivel Seats

Hello All,
I was under the impression that the original swivel seats (59 models) where moved by unlatching the seat and physically moving it. The 1960 system became spring loaded. If this is wrong, please let me know. At any rate, by 1961, all of them had some kind of assist. Incidentally, my dad felt the same way about this " useless item." I can still hear him saying that they could be fatal in a serious accident.

                                               Allan from Billings, Montana