the guy behind the counter

What was that line from the Dirty Harry movie?

"Opinions are like a$$h0leS.  Everybody's got one."

Actually, I think it was "excuses", but, close enough.

QUESTION?????????????????

I have a 76 NYB.  I have had the car for 4 years now and it has one
problem which is annoying and, seemingly, impossible to cure.  At a
stop, or very low speed, such as making a left at a traffic
intersection, or maneuvering while parking, I have normal power steering
when I want to turn the wheel right, but when I want to turn left, it is
"Steering by Armstrong".

It's mostly inconvenient.  Sometimes I have to wait for someone in front
to move.  Sometimes, I want to make a quick left turn, during a break in
traffic.  From a stop, the beginning of the turn, and the first second
of application of throttle, it's like there is no power steering for left.

I took it to the local garage, which has done a pretty good job on all
other chores.  Here is what I have done so far:

1.  Rebuild the steering box.  I was assured that would stop the
problem.  Result:  no change.

2.  Replace the power steering pump.  I was assured that would stop the
problem.  Result:  no change.

3.  After a thorough examination of the problem, install another Pitman
arm, what ever the heck that is.  I was assured that would stop the
problem.  Result:  no change.

I have a 78 NYB which has no such problem.  I can't figure out why these
guys can't fix the problem.  I am a little annoyed at replacing all
these parts and still having the same symptom.

Does anybody know what the problem is?  I'm stumped and it seems my
mechanic is too.

Alan Harper
64 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
69 Dodge D100 pickup
76 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham
78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis
92 Ford T-Bird
alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx
preservationist of our chrome heritage
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

 >Why start an argument in the store if you plan to continue doing =
business there? Next time around you'll probably get poor service.If you =
asked most kids under 20, they'd most likely agree with the counter guy. =
Opinions are a dime a dozen. I'd laugh off the remark.
John