59 emergency brake

Bill,

I doubt if your 59 has an emergency brake at all.  You have a parking brake.  It works with a small pair of shoes that clamp onto the drive shaft.  Not a good stopping option.  My booster failed, years ago, on the freeway.  I have never been so scared.  I kept up with traffic hoping like crazy no one did anything unexpected.  At a clearer point, on a slight incline, I managed to stop on the hard shoulder.  I had no cell phone but a passer by who stopped did and I called for a wrecker.

Removing the booster unit is by no means difficult.  Remove the master cylinder first.  It is held on by the same backing plate as the booster.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  Or shouldn't be.

I dare say no one likes my truck tire inner tube idea, but it works, I assure you.  It's lateral thinking, that's all.  What can be done to re-establish vacuum is the question being answered.  It is worth noting that this was before Karpps had perfected their replacement part.  I had some discussions with them about the problems they were having recreating the rubber for the bellows unit.  They said they did not anticipate having one they would be confident to sell for at least a year.  It turned out to be two.  I needed a good temporary solution.  At the museum, I was laughed at for even trying it, but there was little to lose.  Many cars of this era that survive do not have an original booster simply because a repair was not deemed possible and there was no source for a replacement.  My repair cost nothing except for the sweat of getting the inner tube section onto the unit and over the original unit that had the hole in it.  It proved to be remarkably serviceable, to my surprise as much as anyone else's.

Hugh